Sunday, August 30, 2020

Learning How to Carry On...

 Hello readers

Tonight is a Sunday night.  Something that I often like to do to close out my weekend and get ready for Monday is to play through some hymns.  I find that I usually need the recharge of my batteries that this provides.  Tonight was no exception.  As I played through the music of "Carry On", my mind wandered to my Grandpa Rose, who passed away almost two years ago come October.  One of my favorite things about him was that he liked to listen to me play the piano.  Tonight as I played, I felt his presence.  I also felt some of my other ancestors, almost as if they were gathered around me at the piano as I played.  After I had stopped and basked in that sweet feeling of my Grandpa's love, I started to think about the words of the hymn.  

Later, I looked up the words to the second verse in particular:


"We'll build on the rock they planted; a palace to the King.

Into its shining corridors, our songs of praise we'll bring.

For the heritage they left us, not of gold or worldly wealth,

But a blessing everlasting, of joy, and love, and health. 

And we hear the desert singing 'Carry on, carry on, carry on!'

Hills and vales and mountains ringing. 'Carry on, carry on, carry on!'

Holding aloft our colors, we march in the glorious dawn.

O youth of the noble birthright, carry on, carry on, carry on!


So here are my few thoughts on this text.  We are in a difficult time right now.  Lots of uncertainties and lots of uneasiness.  However, those that came before us lived through difficulties too.  Certainly some that must have cause immense pain and sadness beyond what we can comprehend.  Tonight I felt some of those voices that came before me, cheering me on, telling me "You can do this!"  "Hold up your colors and be who you are!"  "Be a light to others!"  "Look to the dawn of a better day!"  

This week, I will continue to try and count my blessings of joy and love and health.  I hope that we all can be a little more patient and kind to one another.  In times like these, we need to carry on.  More to come...

No comments: