Saturday, June 16, 2012

Bones of contention...

Hello constant readers (whoever you may be).  I recently posted a status on my Facebook page that has caused quite a large discussion thread between some of my friends.  I admit, selfishly, that the main reason I wanted to post my opinion was to see what kinds of reactions I got.  Unfortunately, it seemed to blossom into the type of conversation that isn't my favorite, where certain individuals seem to see the opinions of others as a direct attack on their own beliefs.  I could be wrong in my perception, but I very much doubt it.  It is troubling to me that in our society today there seems to be a new obsession among us (this includes members of the Church) to point out what is wrong with the way others are living their lives and letting our emotions rule our decisions.  There have been two recent blog posts that have gone viral:  one entitled "Club Unicorn"; in which a married LDS man proclaims himself to be gay, in a heterosexual marriage, and perfectly happy with his life as a husband and father, with no desire to be with anyone else but his wife, claiming the reason why their sex life is so good is because of the level of spiritual intimacy they share as a couple.  The initial responses to this very public post have been very positive, with many LDS people on Facebook sharing the link to it on their walls with comments like:  "this guy has an AMAZING attitude" and "check out this cool story".  The second blog post is "An answer to Club Unicorn", written by a divorced LDS woman who was in a similar situation that did not work out so well.  In her case, she and her husband did not have a fulfilling sex life and the level of intimacy in their marriage was damaged because he felt he was not "being true" to himself and his sexual orientation.  She cites her ruined marriage as a warning to all that the "Club Unicorn" mentality may not be right for everybody.  The responses to this blog post were mostly from people in the openly homosexual community, saying things like "I wish all those Mormons posting the "Club Unicorn" link would also read this one".  So the big question I pose to both groups of people is:  "All right then.  Who is right on this issue?"   The answer is simple.  Both of them are right.  Here is my two cents on this whole issue:  Everyone, everywhere, throughout all generations of time and across different upbringings and cultures has had a plethora of different experiences that has woven them into the human tapestries that they are today.  It is absolutely ludicrous to expect everyone to conform to one way of thinking because everyone is different.  On both sides of this issue, I believe that each couple had to make decisions that worked for them, not anyone else.  I don't doubt that it is possible to be gay and be perfectly happy in a heterosexual marriage with children.  But I also point out that it is NOT the best option for all men who are homosexual.  The path that we all choose is a private matter between us and the Lord.  It is only when others directly infringe on our own ability to choose our own paths that we must stand up for what we believe in.  That being said, I DON'T BELIEVE that an infringement on our own rights occurs simply because someone is living their lives in a different way than we are.  On the same note, do not expect me to be your friend if you start waving a protest sign in my face telling me that I am a religious bigot because I do not agree with the homosexual lifestyle.  That is my opinion for my own personal life.  I guess the point of this long soapbox rant is that I am getting tired of all the bones of contention that we keep chewing on over this and similar issues.  Let's leave the judgement up to Heavenly Father and make sure that we are being true to ourselves and what the light of Christ tells us to do.  And those of us that do possess the fullness of the gospel simply have a responsibility to live good, exemplary lives, so as to attract those who are lost to further enlightenment and happiness.  I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and a worthy priesthood holder.  I am not ashamed of this and I am happy to answer any questions about my faith that you may have.  The true gospel of Jesus Christ is the way to a happy life and the way to help others recognize that is by being an example and being friendly enough to our brother and sisters so that they will feel comfortable choosing the right path for themselves, which they will have to do themselves in their own time.  Let us stop arguing over what is right for everyone and instead focus on bettering ourselves.  More to come...

No comments: